Re: Quick questestions before I start ...

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 01:05:40PM -0400, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
> Alex Malinovich wrote:
>
> >Try doing a ifdown eth0, followed by an ifup eth0. Assuming that you
> >have a DHCP server active on the network, you should see it request
> >and receive an IP. If there's any problems with it, send the output
> >and we'll go from there.
>
> Ok, that gets it configured. It doesn't at boot up though, or druring
> the install. From looking in rc2.d (runlevel said I'm in level 2), I
> don't see anything that would configure the interface with dhcp - all I
> see is the entry to start the pcmcia devices, which seems to be done
> nearly last of everything. It would seem to me that the configuration of
> it should be in there somewhere, and after the pcmcia startup ...

You didn't mention what type of network adapter you're using. (Or if
you did I forgot. :) Is it onboard or a PCMCIA card? If it's a PCMCIA
card the problem could be that the module isn't being loaded before
ifup gets called. If that's the case you'll probably want to set up
hotplug to automatically configure the interface (by running ifup)
when the card is detected.

If it's an onboard network device, you'll want to check
/etc/network/interfaces and make sure that the appropriate eth entry
(most likely eth0) is marked 'auto'. It should look something like
this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Hope that helps. As always, just holler if you need more help. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837