Re: [OT] Laptop in a pannier bag?

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas <ripley@8d.com> writes:

> 	I know it's a little off topic, but if you use
> Debian on a laptop, you must be a little "geeky".  I go to
> work every day with my byke ane my laptop in a backpak.
> It is a little hot and the laptop have a lots of stress
> since my back is "round" while pedalling.  I would like to
> put my laptop (it's realy mine, not the cie one) in a
> pannier (rear side bag for the byke), but I don't know if
> it is good for the laptop.  I live in Montreal and the
> roads are better in Arfganistan after a US bombing...  So
> i'd like to know if any of you ever put a laptop in that
> kind a byke and still have it (in working condition).

I've done this to three Laptops in a row, the first two
about 10km daily for two years.  The first one died a bit
early, starting with the backlight after two years.
But I think not because of this, other non-biked laptops of
the same make (Medion 9888) also had similar problems.
After that a Dell CPiA showed no noticable problems,
gave it back to the institute a little more than a year ago.
Now I have my own Thinkpad T30 that should be even more robust,
but I have less occasion to bike with it, no problems either.

There were also a few falls with no noticable problems.

Generally I think that putting it inside a bag is not a problem,
because the bag is not rigid and dampens vibrations.
I wouldn't put a laptop directly on the carrier.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/

Please always send email only as plain text, not as HTML.
HTML email will end up in a mailbox with hundreds of spam messages.