Re: [OT] Laptop in a pannier bag?

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 01:49:27PM -0400, Nicolas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I know it's a little off topic, but if you use Debian on a laptop, you must
> be a little "geeky".  I go to work every day with my byke ane my laptop in a
> backpak.  It is a little hot and the laptop have a lots of stress since my
> back is "round" while pedalling.  I would like to put my laptop (it's realy
> mine, not the cie one) in a pannier (rear side bag for the byke), but I don't
> know if it is good for the laptop.  I live in Montreal and the roads are
> better in Arfganistan after a US bombing...  So i'd like to know if any of
> you ever put a laptop in that kind a byke and still have it (in working
> condition).

I carry my laptop on my bike in a backpack with a nice padded back (one
of those tracking day-packs) Makes less stress on the laptop due to the
rounded back and absorbs sweat. I have also sewn a padded bag for it
with a top opening that will protect it from other stuff in the
backpack. The top opening is good so I don't have to take out the inner
bag to take the laptop out of the backpack (and I think purple corduroy
is really cool for a laptop bag ;-).

There are some day-packs with an external frame (I think Deuter among
others make them) which may allow more air on your back. There are also
backpacks specifically designed for laptops.

I would seriously avoid putting the laptop in a pannier. Even if you
get a good quality double suspension bike and mount the pannier on sit
post (a serious engineering fit to do it without the pannier flying
into your wheel and at best just locking it) and only ride on good
quality roads, the shocks are still more then I'd recommend for a
laptop. Also I already had someone open a car door on me and catch just
the pannier, leaving it in place while I continued on (wouldn't want
that to happen with a laptop in there).

I have met someone who mounter a camera on the shock of his mountain
bike, but I think a good quality manual camera is more robust then a
laptop.

Also for city riding, I think you need the extra maneuverability a
backpack gives you (at least in the cities I ride in. Crazy
mountain biker on a city road with insane drivers  >|-)