Re: Synaptics question

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 12:33:25PM +0100, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 11:35:14PM +0100, Jan T. Kim wrote:

> >     (EE) Configured Mouse no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
> >     (EE) Configured Mouse Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
> >     (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
> >
> > The evdev module is loaded (``modprobe evdev'' before ``startx''), and
> > I verified that /dev/input/event1 represents the touchpad by hexdumping
> > from that.
>
> to verify that you have one you can cat /proc/bus/input/devices, I
> have:
> I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=0000
> N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
> P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
> H: Handlers=mouse1 event2
> B: EV=b
> B: KEY=6420 0 670000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> B: ABS=11000003

Ok -- it does say "Synaptics", but it has a USB interface, not a PS/2
interface:

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=06cb Product=0003 Version=0011
N: Name="Synaptics Inc. Synaptics cPad"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.1-2/input0
H: Handlers=event2 mouse1 ts1
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=3

> also you need the psmouse driver loaded in order to correctly use a
> Synaptics Touchpad, dmesg tells me:
> Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
>  Firmware: 5.9
>  Sensor: 37
>  new absolute packet format
>  Touchpad has extended capability bits
>  -> multifinger detection
>  -> palm detection
> input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1

I tried loading the psmouse driver anyway, but it made no difference. I
expected this, but I wasn't 100% certain, as the builtin mouse (touchpad)
does become available via the /dev/psaux device.  I have to admit that
I don't entirely understand how this works, currently.

At any rate, in /var/log/messages, I find that the touchpad is indeed
handled by the USB mouse driver:

    Mar 17 18:35:40 chipiona kernel: input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Synaptics Inc. Synaptics cPad] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2

> also, the synaptics driver version 0.12.5 you are using should support
> the middle button

Well -- this is all that I really care for. Unfortunately, my hopes
to awaken the middle button to life are not too high, considering that
with all my messing around, I have never seen any data come out of any
device (/dev/psaux, /dev/input/event2 etc.) upon pressing the middle
button.

Perhaps, the USB mouse driver can somehow be told that the Synaptics cPad
is a three button mouse...? I'll have to search the docs on this, this
evening, I guess...

Greetinx, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |