Re: Modem in T40 - stopped responding

Martin Wegmann (debian_list@web.de) wrote:

> I managed some month ago to get my modem in a IBM T40 running.
> With the slmdm 2.7.10 kernel modules for SmartLink Soft Modems support and the
> patch apllied it worked.
>
> But now KPPP responded that it is unable to open the modem.

Just a thought, you didn't forget to start the smartlink daemon? I have
one of those modems too, but I use a more recent version. So, it sounds
like either the daemon isn't running or kpppd isn't using the correct
device. (For me the device is /dev/ttySL0)

I recently patched my 2.6 kernel to use an "alsa"-driver from smartlink.
I thought that would make the modem's sound to use the soundcard, but
didn't. In Windows the modem's sound is controlled with the normal
master volume, any chance this can be done in Linux?

Oh, and another. Can one speed up the dial-speed? I'm using wvdial and
it takes about 40 seconds, I believe, to get connected. The tones sent
is very slow.

Cheers,
Örjan