Re: Strange Zip Attatchment

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 07:50:58 +0100
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:

> Am 2004-01-27 15:26:49, schrieb François TOURDE:
> >Le 12444ième jour après Epoch,
> >Niko Efthymiou écrivait:
> >
> >> I have noticed 3 stange zip atachments on this mailing list, all
> >> recieved yesterday. I would suspect that it is some kind of virus
> >> (havent scanned it).
> >>
> >> Since there have been quite a few virus epidemies recently (and maling
> >> lists are a good place for spreding them), I would like to propose
> >> following alternatives:
> >>
> >> 1. Dissallow atachments alltogether on debian lists (send them to
> >> /dev/null)
> >
> >And what about legal attachements, like logs, config files, etc. ?
>
> Why ? logs, configs and patches are plain/text and can send inline.

Sending multiple logs inline would potentially make it very difficult to find where one log ends and the next begins.  Also, it would forestall someone from downloading the logs easily for analysis or whatever else.  Finally, doing so would make the logs susceptible to 80-char wrapping or any other mail body translations that I may not be aware of.

::snip? SNIP!::

--
| There is something to be said about not trying to |
|   to be glamorous and popular and cool.  Just be  |