Re: questions on ACPI -- a follow up

Note to debian folk: swsusp-devel@lists.sourceforge.net is the proper ML for this discussion

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:02:44 +0100
Lukasz Wiechec <lwiechec2@space.pl> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 08:09:25PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > What version did you use? (send the output of cat
> > /proc/swsusp/debug_info).
> > Up to what point does the suspend process go? Any error messages on the
> > screen or in /var/log/(syslog|kern.log|messages). Did you append the
> > line resume2=swap:/dev/<swap partition> to the kernel (using lilo/grub
> > or whatever you are using?)
> > Anyway you are currently supposed to use echo > /proc/swsusp/activate
>
> Just a quick question: how long does it take to swsusp? it seems that
> *something* happens when I try to hibernate (i.e. some data is written
> to swap/swsusp data space). When I restarted system, syslog said:
>
> --cut--
> Jan 23 09:50:57 poppy kernel: SoftwareSuspend2: Swap space signature
> found.
> Jan 23 09:50:57 poppy kernel: Swsusp 2.0-rc3I: Checking for image...
> Jan 23 09:50:57 poppy kernel: SoftwareSuspend2: This is normal swap
> space.
> Jan 23 09:50:58 poppy kernel: PM: Reading pmdisk image.
> Jan 23 09:50:58 poppy kernel: PM: Resume from disk failed.
> --cut--
>
> I reckon swsusp didn't complete writing.
>
> PS: does swsusp have any problems with USB? I started suspending with
> memory stick plugged in. When I unplugged it (with swsusp still in
> progress), progress bar jumped to ~60%. This was the moment data was
> actually written to disk (there was hdd activity).

Yes, there are known problems with USB; you should have all USB modules removed from the kernel during suspension.  Also, you can try turning on debug (needs to be compiled in, and can be activated through /proc/swsusp/)  For me (2.6.1-rc1 with rc3I), the progress bar progresses at a relatively constant rate; it takes my box about 15-25 seconds (512 megs of mem, 768 megs of swap space, 1400MHz proc)

You may want to check the mailing list archives for usage documentation (subject "Test patch 2L.", Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:39:13 +1300).  The docs on the website may be up-to-date now as well (swsusp.sourceforge.net)

--
| Don't show me the palm tree, show me the dates.   |
|   Afghan Proverb                                  |