Re: questions on ACPI

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:46:50AM +0100, S?bastien NOBILI wrote:
> >Dear All,
> >
> >I've just compiled 2.6.1 and switched onto ACPI from APM. 'acpid' is
> >working properly, events get recognized well. I noticed, however, that
> >while using APM, I was able to "suspend" my laptop by pressing "suspend"
> >button. It was working well, but it seems that in ACPI this is not
> >implemented (I presume I need to implement it by myself). Now, I was
> >trying to get swsusp working (swsusp2 as it's now called in kernel
> >tree), but I can't make it even suspend, not to mention restore the
> >work.
> >
> >So, if anyone on the list has some good advice regarding setting up ACPI
> >on the laptop to actually do some work, could he/she share it?
> >
> >My laptop is Compaq Armada M700.
> >
> >PS: is it possible to find 'cpufreqd' equivalent for Pentium II?
> >
> >thanks,
> >
> I'm fighting with suspend as well...My laptop is a DELL Inspiron 8200
> and a 2.4.23 kernel.
> I tried the direct way (echo 3 > /var/acpi/sleep) (I'm not quite sure of

Its /proc/acpi/sleep and this will not work for you on 2.4 kernels
(echo 3 > ... is S3 mode and echo 1 > ... is S1 mode). S1 and S3 modes
are only implemented on 2.6 and are still troublesome on some machines.
The only way to suspend on 2.4 is using swsusp2.

> the path of the sleep file) which doesn't work at all. I also tried the
> swsusp2 which tries to suspend and immediately comes back.

What version did you use? (send the output of cat
Up to what point does the suspend process go? Any error messages on the
screen or in /var/log/(syslog|kern.log|messages). Did you append the
line resume2=swap:/dev/<swap partition> to the kernel (using lilo/grub
or whatever you are using?)
Anyway you are currently supposed to use echo > /proc/swsusp/activate