Re: questions on ACPI

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:46:50AM +0100, S?bastien NOBILI wrote:
> >Dear All,
> >
> >I've just compiled 2.6.1 and switched onto ACPI from APM. 'acpid' is
> >working properly, events get recognized well. I noticed, however, that
> >while using APM, I was able to "suspend" my laptop by pressing "suspend"
> >button. It was working well, but it seems that in ACPI this is not
> >implemented (I presume I need to implement it by myself). Now, I was
> >trying to get swsusp working (swsusp2 as it's now called in kernel
> >tree), but I can't make it even suspend, not to mention restore the
> >work.
> >
> >So, if anyone on the list has some good advice regarding setting up ACPI
> >on the laptop to actually do some work, could he/she share it?
> >
> >My laptop is Compaq Armada M700.
> >
> >PS: is it possible to find 'cpufreqd' equivalent for Pentium II?
> >
> >thanks,
> >

> I'm fighting with suspend as well...My laptop is a DELL Inspiron 8200
> and a 2.4.23 kernel.
> I tried the direct way (echo 3 > /var/acpi/sleep) (I'm not quite sure of

Its /proc/acpi/sleep and this will not work for you on 2.4 kernels
(echo 3 > ... is S3 mode and echo 1 > ... is S1 mode). S1 and S3 modes
are only implemented on 2.6 and are still troublesome on some machines.
The only way to suspend on 2.4 is using swsusp2.

> the path of the sleep file) which doesn't work at all. I also tried the
> swsusp2 which tries to suspend and immediately comes back.

What version did you use? (send the output of cat
/proc/swsusp/debug_info).
Up to what point does the suspend process go? Any error messages on the
screen or in /var/log/(syslog|kern.log|messages). Did you append the
line resume2=swap:/dev/<swap partition> to the kernel (using lilo/grub
or whatever you are using?)
Anyway you are currently supposed to use echo > /proc/swsusp/activate