Re: java plugin for mozilla

Several years ago I found out quite by accident that the Java plugin for
Mozilla, either from Sun, Blackdown, or via the plugin install process,
would not work until the xlibs-dev package was installed.  It seems the
plugin was looking for things like xlib.so which is a symlink to the
actual library (I'm going from memory here) that only existed after
xlibs-dev was installed.  I'm not sure if this bug exists any longer.

As for installing Java, I just download the Linux package from Sun and
drop it into /opt.  I then make /opt/java2 a symlink that points to
the actual install directory.  Then I create the following symlink from
the plugins directory of Mozilla or MozillaFirebird:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 nate     nate           55 2003-10-16 20:00 libjavaplugin_oji.so -> /opt/java2/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so*

With Midnight Commander these commands are trivial.

My actual installed version of Java is j2re 1.4.2

HTH,

- Nate >>

 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org