Re: java plugin for mozilla

Derek Broughton wrote:
On January 7, 2004 12:50 pm, Michael K O'Brien wrote:

Hola~

I'd like to install a Java plugin for Mozilla. I was able to find a couple
of web pages that describe how to do this by downloading the package from
Sun and installing it by hand.

I wasn't able to find a *.deb for it. Is there one?

Not that I know of, but my last install was a .rpm which I 'alien'ed and installed without a hitch.
I am also having trouble with java and mozilla.

I tried to install java plugin through the mozilla browser auto install process. I started mozilla as root and it said that the plugin install was a success.

However on loading mozilla I get this error:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialise shared library /usr/local/mozilla/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so [libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shard object file: No such file or directory]

Some r4esearch showed that I need a symlink:

Linux Put a symlink to /usr/java/jre<version>/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so in your plugins/ directory. (Note copying the file instead of making the symlink will cause Java to crash.)

(http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.6b/installation-extras.html)

But I have a sybolic link in my plugins/ directory that points to this .so file.

And these errors for which I have found no information:

LoadPlugin: failed to initialise shared library libXt.so [libXt.so: cannot open shard object file: No such file or directory]LoadPlugin: failed to initialise shared library libXext.so [libXext.so: cannot open shard object file: No such file or directory]

I am running Mozilla 1.5 and debian 2.1.1 gnome 1.4

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Tendril

(assume little ability)