Re: newbie question

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 01:23:24AM +0100, Thorsten Haude wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> [2004-01-03 23:57]:
> >Am 2004-01-03 15:14:42, schrieb Tendril:
> >>Finally (for now) is there a reason why I can't copy/paste between
> >>applications? (ie. between advanced editor and mozilla news composer?)
> >
> >You can copy under X while go to the copy mark, press the left
> >mousebutton selecting the text and release the button. No it is
> >in the copy-past-buffer even sometimes it does not stay selected.
>
> Actually nothing is transferred at this point, the mechanism is more
> clever than that. Only when the selection is about to be inserted, the
> source application and the target application arrange the format of
> the transferred data.

GTK apps apparently have an additional copy/paste mechanism besides the
standard X one: I can highly text in gnome-terminal and hit Ctrl+Shift+C
and it copies it.  You can also do the X style thing.

Sometimes the two buffers can be different: Mozilla apparently supports
both.  When I copy text in Mozilla it's unpredictable whether or not it
will paste okay in another app.

Just try all the combinations.  If it doesn't work, try the other or try
again.  Copy/paste in X/GTK/QT3/Mozilla is a manifold experience.