Re: I'm losing it! (was usb mouse not recognised in kernel 2.4.22)

Problem solved!

from Kev82 at linuxquestions.org:
there is a unmarked dependancy somewhere in the hid/input code its been there for the last few kernels, i meant to report it but forgot, anyway if you enable all the hid stuff other than hiddev and you enable mouse keyboard and joystick support it should be ok."

the workaround has fixed everything, I am not sure if the bug still exists in latest kernels, I have tried 2.6.0 test 4 but the screen blanks on me on boot every time. as far as I am aware kernel 2.4.20 worked ok with full HID.

needless to say, I'm not gonna try compiling any kernels for a while, 40 odd kernel compiles in the last few weeks has exhausted me!