usb mouse not recognised in kernel 2.4.22 (continued)

hmm... managed to delete all of my debian laptop emails while mucking about with mozilla..!

anyway, to continue for those that may be following this thread.

when compiling the kernel should I move/delete the existing modules from /lib/modules/2.4.22?

if i enter modconf on my latest compile no usbmouse shows up, however if i lsmod it appears. I am still not sure if this is the problem as my kernel 2.4.18 (bf24) has this module loaded and the mouse works, but I am willing to try anything at this stage!

ben