Re: compiling & installing kernels

From: "Emma Jane Hogbin" <emmajane@xtrinsic.com>

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:41:00PM +0200, Michael Ott wrote:
> > If you are using the default-debian-kernel (2.4.20) there are not all
> > acpi-patches included.
>
> So if I did apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.20 I don't have the patched
> kernel? At one point I installed kernel headers for 2.4.20 because I
> thought ALSA wanted them (and I've since recompiled the kernel), would
> that make a difference?

That certainly explains why your /proc/acpi/processor/0/info only contains
<TBD>.  You definitely _don't_ have a full acpi implementation.  You have to get
the patches from sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=36832)

> (I think my problem *may* have been a rogue APMd that I thought I'd
> stopped but hadn't...and further more when you install ACPID shouldn't it
> *automatically* remove APMD?)

It _shouldn't_ matter.  If you compiled the kernel to support both, it checks
for both (I'm not sure which order) and uses the first one which the BIOS
supports.  So then the apmd/acpid daemons could both run and only one should
have any effect.

derek