Re: Detect what is causing the hard drive to spin up

Am Sonntag 23 März 2003 17:35 schrieb Jeff:
> > I've just setup noflushd and finally can enjoy to hear that
> > damn hard drive to spin down after a while it's not in use.
> > [...]

> I had the same problem on my noisy older Dell Latitude.  I was
> informed that using the find command, shown below, will help
> narrow down the field:
> [...]

Additionally, set the noatime option on all mounted
filesystems to prevent the kernel from updating the
access times of the files. I do not know if noflushd
takes care of that.

And remember that journaling file systems like ext3
by default commit their journals every five seconds.
Making that period longer defeats (some?/most?)
benefits of having a journaling FS.

chl
--
Dipl. Phys. Carsten Lechte
Institut fuer Experimentelle und Angewandte Physik