Re: your mail

    "Derek" == Derek Broughton <dbroughton@netcom.ca> writes:

    Derek> As near as I can tell, when you put stuff in
    Derek> /etc/network/interfaces, it gets executed at init time,
    Derek> before pcmcia gets started. If your card is already
    Derek> inserted, then when pcmcia _does_ start, ifup doesn't get
    Derek> executed.  Perhaps I'm misconfigured, but this is what's
    Derek> happening to me.

Most likely you have an 'auto' line in /etc/network/interfaces for
your pcmcia card. Take that out and it should work fine. Basically, if
you don't have the auto line the network script in /etc/init.d/ will
ignore the interface, and the pcmcia startup scripts there will
correctly bring the card up later.

IMHO, this is the "correct" way to do it. It also works fine (I've
done it like this for a while and, to be honest, since moving to
Debian I've actually forgotten how to muck with network.opts and all
those other pcmcia-cs files).

Cheers!
Shyamal