Re: Getting PCMCIA to work?

Derek Broughton (dbroughton@netcom.ca) had this to say on 02/07/03 at 09:14:
> From: "Marc Mongeon" <mongeon@btinet.net>
>
> > On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 02:44:56PM -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> > > Another is to make sure that /etc/default/pcmcia has
> > > PCIC="yenta_socket" rather than PCIC="i82365" since the 2.4 kernels
> > > don't have that module.
> >
> > My kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-586tsc has the i82365 module.  Has its use
> > been deprecated?
>
> I know of at least one person who hasn't been able to make her pcmcica card work
> on a 2.4.x system without i82365.  As far as I know it's still a valid module.
> But generally, if someone has trouble with pcmcia after upgrading the kernel,
> the best bet is to use "yenta_socket".  It works almost every time :-)

yenta_socket is the name of the kernel-level PCMCIA driver. If you do not
use the built-in kernel PCMCIA drivers, but instead use the full stand-alone
PCMCIA-CS package, there is no yenta-socket; you must specifiy i82365.

Or I did, at least, since I use the stand-alone PCMCIA-CS drivers with my
wireless LinkSys driver, and had to make that change, since compiling the
PCMCIA-CS package produced no yenta_socket driver.