Re: Getting PCMCIA to work?

From: "Brian Kendig" <brian@enchanter.net>

> Thanks!  That was it exactly.  I made that change and rebooted; dmesg
> now shows these messages that weren't seen before:
>
> Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:03.0

...found pcmcia socket 0

> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:03.1
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:07.2

interupt shared with these devices

> PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:03.1

found socket 1

> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:03.0

interrupt shared with the other pcmcia socket

> PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:07.2

and with whatever's on 00:07.2 (you'd have to do lspci to know what).

> Yenta IRQ list 0218, PCI irq11
> Socket status: 3000006
> Yenta IRQ list 0218, PCI irq11
> Socket status: 3000010

I have no idea what the specific socket statuses are, but there weren't any
error messages :-)  I'd guess one says it found a card and the other says it
didn't.

> What do these messages mean?  This laptop has two PCMCIA slots, and one
> of them has a 3Com Ethernet card on it; do these messages refer to the
> slots or to the card?

_these_ messages refer to the socket (slot).  There will be others generated by
actually finding and initializing the card.

> Also, now that I'm not getting error messages out of PCMCIA any more,
> where can I find instructions on how to configure that PCMCIA Ethernet
> card to handle networking?

man pcmcia