Re: Debian Users...

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Russell Coker wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:40, Tim Connors <tconnors+deblaptop@astro.swin.edu.au>
> wrote:
> > > Fvwm is cool. It takes a fair bit of configuration, but it's fast,
> > > small and absolutely bomb-proof in my experience. And several of the
> > > newer WMs still don't match its features...
> >
> > Bulletproof my oath. One thing you *never* *ever* want to segfault is your
> > window manager. Because if you have been logged in for 60 days, there is a
> > lot of state stored on your desktop[1] that you don't want lost when the
>
> I learnt an interesting trick from a friend at university (Swinburne in fact).
> He had his .xinitrc configured such that the window manager would run as a
> child process, and the process that the X server recognised as the window
> manager was "sleep 1000000000".  That way he could restart his window manager
> while remaining logged in, and if the window manager crashed it was no big
> deal.  /bin/sleep is extremely unlikely to crash...

That would suck to lose all that if you forgot after 31 years about your
hack.

:)

I also have a habit of running killall sleep, so I'd have to make a
symlink to sleep called
"/bin/\ Really\ don\'t\ kill\ this\ copy\ of\ sleep,\ you\'ll\ regret\
it\ \(think\ about\ the\ uptime\!\)."

Sigh, this is so offtopic :)

"It took people a long time to figure out which machine was [mooing],
and even longer to figure out how.  But for some reason it didn't take
them any time at all to figure that I'd done it."  -- Paul Tomblin on ASR