Re: Debian Users...

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:35:23PM -0800, Larry Colen wrote:

> I've been using fvwm for years. Now I'm running fvwm2. It has some
> features I really like and haven't seen easily in other desktops. Also
> the last time I tried another desktop it was so freaking slow, I
> couldn't stand it.

I use fvwm2 too. Among the things I like about it is the fact that when
I get an account on a Linux box, I just have to copy my ~/.fvwm2rc file
into my new home directory, instead of messing around for an evening or so
with some "Control Center" or comparable thing in order to try and set up
my environment.

Personally, I strongly dislike those desktop systems because of their
foolish handling of iconification -- frequently, iconification doesn't
even render any icons anymore, and buttons or meny entries are produced
in some desktop-specific gadget. (Can anyone explain why that is??)

Another thing which irritates me a lot is that an increasing amount
of applications fails to handle the standard X options properly, and
apparently does not properly communicate with the window manager properly
either. For example, acroread just disregards any -geometry option,
and it took me a lot of experimentation to finally figure out a special
setup for the AcroRead class in my .fvwm2rc in which the full screen
view (which I needed for presentation purposes) works properly.

Is there any initiative of the Debian user community in which petitions
to software providers, asking them to adhere to the pertinent standards,
can be signed? I would gladly participate...

Greetings, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |