Re: add kernel modules

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:00:52 -0500
donnie <donnie@darthik.com> wrote:

> Also, not sure which install you are using, but I found this, just in
> case you run into some trouble with the "Installing Foreign Modules."
>
> Link:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2002/debian-boot-200212/msg00826.html
> ************************
> Hello,
> I tried to install the network module e1000.o with the function
> "Install foreign Modules". This procedure works well with kernel
> 2.2.20 but does not work with 2.4.18-bf2.4.
> The installation program wants to copy the module e1000.o from the
> floppy directory /lib/modules/net to the directory
> /target/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/net. This target directory does not
> exist, because the network drivers of the kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 are
> located in
> /target/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/net (in difference to
> kernel 2.2.20). So the installation program creates a ***file*** named
> "net" in /target/lib/modules/2.4.28-bf2.4/. If I created the
> /target/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/net directory
> before applying the "Install foreign Modules" function, the e1000.o
> module was copied into this directory correctly, but the following
> modconf function couldn't find it for configuration of cause.
> So I had to copy the module into the /target/.../kernel/drivers/net
> directory manually.
> After this the modconf program can find the new driver module.

... which brings me to an interesting question :
what if the kernel I use to install is too old and not able to get the
NIC to work ? debian is based on network availability for installation
(unless you have everything on CD *AND* a CD player which recognises
your CDs (maybe mine had just problems with RW's))
in my case I had to use the 2.4.22 kernel & modules to get my NIC to
work. Not sure if the 2.4.22 NIC driver would have loaded under 2.4.18
(although I doubt this as I already had this problem once and the kernel
wants modules compiled for 2.4.18-bf2.4), didn't try it.
is there a "debian way" of doing this ? (creating a dedicated bootdisk
maybe ?)

Joel