Re: Configuring iwconfig?

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:20:49AM -0500, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "Alex" == Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> writes:
>
>     Alex> On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 21:06, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
>     >> What's the best way to make iwconfig remember its settings
>
>     Alex> and check "man interfaces" and "man iwconfig". You can pass
>     Alex> iwconfig options to the ifup/down scripts including WEP
>     Alex> keys, etc. If you set the "auto" flag for that particular
>     Alex> device, it should automatically start up, configure itself,
>     Alex> and connect at bootup.
>
> This works great. However, do not set the 'auto' flag for a PCMCIA
> device. If you do it will fail on bootup because of the fact that the
> networking startup script (/etc/init.d/networking) runs before the
> PCMCIA script.

Yes.  Do not startup networking except for lo in /etc/init.d/networking,
by setting 'auto' flag.  This is even better.

Use hotplug mechanism to start it.  So I suggest even to disable default
/etc/pcmcia/networking.opt 's behavior of "ifup eth0" run from script by
disabling last part of script by commenting them out.

For details,
 http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-trigger

Specifically:
 http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-trigger-hotplug