Re: Recommendation Wanted: Pentium-M with debian

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 16:09:10 +0200
Reinhard Tartler <siretart@meinungsverstaerker.de> wrote:

> Hy Folks.
>
> Let me introduce myself, as i'm new on this list: I'm a student of
> computer science from Erlangen, Germany, and I am going to buy a new
> Notebook with an Pentium-M. I wanted to ask you which one you would
> recommend.

I currently have a Toshiba M15-S405.  I have consistently had good results with Toshiba, so that's what I would recommend (although I'm not sure how mine ranks with the ones you were looking at wrt price).

> I know that most WLAN onboard chips won't work, but that's
> ok, because i will use an cardbus card instead.

I do this as well, even though I am waiting for the hardware specs to be released :o)

> I looked at IBM Thinkpad R40 Notebooks as well als Dell's Latitude
> D400 and D500 notebooks. Both look promising. I've read many
> controversial reports on the R40, most of them are complaining about not
> working suspend features. Could you please comment on this?

I've never actually used BIOS suspend on a laptop.  I usually use Software Suspend.  It works excellently in 2.4.x with patches from swsusp.sf.net.  It is mostly ok in 2.6.0-testX-mmN (which is what I typically use).  It has never worked for me in 2.6.0-testX (aka without an mm patch).

--
) http://www.cuodan.net/~xsdg/    xsdg@freenode.org (
| Didn't Ben Franklin once say it is better to keep |