NetGear FA511 trouble

Hi,

I'm having problems getting a NetGear FA511 NIC to work on a ThinkPad
600. I am running as testing/unstable, but have compiled my kernel
from the most recent kernel.org sources (2.4.22).  There have been
couple of threads on this list of the past couple of years that seem
to be close to my problem, yet they don't quite answer it.

I have followed the instructions here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg00787.html
http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/debian/laptop/2002/10/msg00055.html

This thread uses tulip_cb instead
http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2001/debian-laptop-200112/msg00059.html

Right now, I am trying to get the card to work using the kernel
drivers, though I do have pcmcia-cs installed, but without the
drivers, even though according to the posts above I shouldn't even
need pcmcia-cs at all. (I've tried the pcmcia-cs drivers too, with
tulip_cb, but had different problems...) When I try to do

# modprobe tulip

I get this:

/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o: insmod tulip
failed

The relevant info from dmesg is this:

Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
Intel PCIC probe: not found.
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9, 2002)
Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9, 2002)
ds: no socket drivers loaded!

always get the same message about IO or IRQ parameters.  I have no
idea where to start dealing with IO or IRQ parameters, so I would
really appreciate being steered toward a solution on this.

Thanks for any help

Joe