Installing debian on Toshiba 2435 - S255

Hi...

I need to install Debian on my Toshiba Satellite 2435- S255 machine which
already has Windows XP on a 40Gb hard drive. I am a complete newbie..( as
new as they come ) and was looking for help over the internet for
directions as to how to go about having a multiboot kind of installation
with debian and windows xp, but Im completely lost. Not really sure where
to begin. All I know now is that I need to partition my hard disk first. I
have the debian installation on CDs as images.

Can anybody please tell me how I go about partitioning my disk, what tool
do I use ? (I cannot afford to purchase partition magic). Do I just insert
the CDs with images and let the debian installer lead me through the
process ? If anybody has earlier installed on my machine....any particular
problems that they encountered ? i dont need a full fledged installation,
just something to get me going with Linux.

Thanks, all help is appreciated.