Netgear PCMCIA fast ethernet (fa511)

I thought I would post a message on how I got a Netgear PCMCIA fast
ethernet (fa511) card to work with Debian Woody and a 2.4 kernel.

These are the steps I took to get it working using 2.4.20 kernel modules
and not the pcmcia-cs package.  (You do not need the pcmcia-cs package
at all and I don't have it installed.)

1. Compile a kernel with the following:
  General Setup --> PCMCIA/CardBus support -->
    <M> PCMCIA/CardBus support
    [*] CardBus support
  Network Device Support --> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) -->
    [*] Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)
    [*] EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers
    <M>   DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x) PCI support

2. Install the kernel and modules and reboot.

3. Create a file /etc/modutils/netgear with the following:
-- snip --
# Load pcmcia_core, yenta_socket and ds modules before tulip module.
#below      tulip pcmcia_core yenta_socket ds
pre-install tulip insmod pcmcia_core && insmod yenta_socket && insmod ds
# eth0 is the Netgear fast ethernet PCMCIA card.
alias       eth0  tulip
-- end snip --

4. Update your /etc/modules.conf file by running:
update-modules

Nb. For some reason the "below" command didn't work as expected from
reading the modules.conf man page.  If anyone can tell me why I would be
grateful as this seems like it would be a cleaner method than the
pre-install line I used in the end.

5. Create a /etc/network/interfaces file with appropriate configurations
like:
-- snip --auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    up route add default gw 192.168.0.1
-- end snip --

6. Then simply doing ifup eth0 and ifdown eth0 will bring up and take
down the interface as it should.

Note that I didn't include a post-remove line in the
/etc/modutils/netgear file since you may not want to remove the
pcmcia_core and yenta_socket etc. if you have other pcmcia cards using
it.  Simple to add it if you want.

Hopefully this will help someone else.  I was certainly confused into
thinking that I needed the pcmcia-cs package even with 2.4 kernels.  I
know that you can still take this approach with 2.4 kernels but I wanted
to make use of the 2.4 kernel modules available.

Regards.
Mark.