Re: How do I stop XDM/GDM starting ?

Le 12317ième jour après Epoch,
listmail@ddsap.com écrivait:

> Hi all,
>
> Finally got Debian woody running on my DELL Inspirion 8500, sort of :-)
> I installed kernel 2.4.8 and it now boots without an Aieee error.
> X works using the NVidia driver but I can't get a BIG resolution running,
> such as 1900 x 1200. I know this resolution can be achieved as I have seen
> a few web pages of people running RedHat and getting it to work.
>
> Anyway, how do I stop X starting automatically when Debian starts ?

Look at /etc/rcN.d/SXX[gx]dm ... Where N is probably 2 (default runlevel) and
NN is 99 on my machine, but don't remember if I modified it ;)

It's a symlink to ../init.d/[gx]dm so you can remove the link, manually or
using update-rc.d

> GDm or XDM starts automagically when I start the laptop so it starts X.
> I can't log in as root via the graphical log in screen (security I
> suppose) only as a user. I can 'su' once logged in but the xserver refuses
> to restart or change resolutions. Ctrl + Alt + Backspace doesn't  seem to
> have any effect. Perhaps I am missing something ?

Yes. There is no link between auto-start and resolution. But you can try more
easily (sorry, don't remember this word, typo is my fault) with startx ...

CTRL+ALT+[+-] just swap resolutions from your X configuration file. Look at
this file, make some tests whith startx, then you can go back to auto-start.

--
"I would rather spend 10 hours reading someone else's source code than
10 minutes listening to Musak waiting for technical support which isn't."