Re: Two fixed network cards

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 01:14 pm, David Z Maze wrote:
> Dave Thayer <X0324509.lists.dmthayer@spamgourmet.com> writes:
> > On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:39:44AM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
> >> My laptop has two fixed (e.g., not PCMCIA) network cards, one wired
> >> and one wireless (802.11a/b combo).  Both are set up by default to use
> >> DHCP in /etc/network/interfaces, and right now the wired card comes up
> >> first.  I'd like to not wait to a DHCP timeout if I don't need to.  I
> >> also know the question "is there an Ethernet cable connected" can be
> >> asked, though not how.  Also, I don't want both the wired and wireless
> >> up the vast majority of the time.
> >
> > Ifplugd (in sid/testing) should do the trick:
>
> Aah, that looks like it, thanks.  README.gz says "support for wireless
> networking, whenever an AP is detected the network is configured"; I
> wonder if that'll work with my sketchy wireless driver.  :-)

I tried ifplugd on a ThinkPad A20P that has a fixed, wired, network card and a
PCMCIA wireless.  It did not configure the wireless card, but ifstatus
correctly tells me when the wire is unplugged.  Anyway, if you get it
working, maybe you could let us know what you did.

Cheers,

Victor R. Cain             (865)435-5084    Fax:(865)435-9709
E: vic@vicsfamily.net      Web: www.vicsfamily.net

------------ Quote of the Hour ------------
I have the simplest tastes.  I am always satisfied with the best.
                            -- Oscar Wilde