Re: Kernel 2.6 and Dell Inspiron laptop

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 00:02, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> Yep my bad, it is a Inspiron 4100 model.
[SNIP]
> >  Some of this features are redundant with ACPI. ACPI should work
> >  properly on recent inspiron models although some of these would need
> >  a DSDT table modification (see
> >  http://www.cpqlinux.com/acpi-howto.html).  on newer systems, some
> >  features are only available with ACPI, since APM is now considered
> >  obsolete
>
> APM, obsolete ? It is far from being obsolete here :) I mean ACPI is so
> bad supported for my model, I can't imagine letting it down. If I had
> time, I would have made my own DDST table but it is painfull :)

APM is obsolete. I've got a Dell Latitude D600 and that has no APM
support at all anymore. I used to compile a custom DSDT table and the
newest ACPI patch in the kernel, however the last two patches include
all data necessary for my notebook now.

Also ACPI has gotten very recent in the 2.4.22-pre series, so there will
be nice ACPI support in the next kernel.

I'm writing a howto for my notebook (http://www.marlow.dk/dell_d600),
since there really was so much new things to play around with.

> >  For other hardware (ethernet, wifi, video, modem, etc) it's quite
> >  different between inspiron models.
>
> Indeed.

There is currently only one Wlan card from Dell, which is supported on
Linux (TrueMobile 1150), video is either ATI or NVidia .. mostly (there
are others, too), modem can be anything, but often it's some kind of
winmodem.
Also NICs switch, mine has a Broadcom Gbit Nic, the newer
Inspiron/Latitude have the 100 MBit Broadcom, older ones have 3com or
Intel.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin at list-petersen dot se