Re: Kernel 2.6 and Dell Inspiron laptop

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:06:20 +0200
Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Did anybody try to compile such a kernel for this laptop model ?
>
> I am going nuts trying to find out what option to activate, what not
> etc...
>
> I would be interested in having a .config for my model, anybody ?
>
> Another question; is ACPI support in this kernel enough to use it in
> place of the APM ?

Which inspiron model ? there are plenty of different laptop called like these.

There is a "Dell Laptop Support" (CONFIG_I8K) option that enables some
dell-specific managment options (such as fan speed, temp, bios version and
battery status). It is intended for inspiron 8XXX, but could work on some
other models. Userland access tools are debian-packaged (i8kutils)

Some of this features are redundant with ACPI. ACPI should work properly
on recent inspiron models although some of these would need a DSDT table
modification (see http://www.cpqlinux.com/acpi-howto.html).
on newer systems, some features are only available with ACPI, since APM
is now considered obsolete

For other hardware (ethernet, wifi, video, modem, etc) it's quite different
between inspiron models.

--
Laurent Canet