Re: Kernel 2.6 and Dell Inspiron laptop

Laurent Canet <lc@tekila.org> writes:

>  On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:06:20 +0200
>  Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> wrote:
>
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  Did anybody try to compile such a kernel for this laptop model ?
> >
> >  I am going nuts trying to find out what option to activate, what
> >  not etc...
> >
> >  I would be interested in having a .config for my model, anybody ?
> >
> >  Another question; is ACPI support in this kernel enough to use it
> >  in place of the APM ?
> >

>  Which inspiron model ? there are plenty of different laptop called
>  like these.

Yep my bad, it is a Inspiron 4100 model.

>  There is a "Dell Laptop Support" (CONFIG_I8K) option that enables
>  some dell-specific managment options (such as fan speed, temp, bios
>  version and battery status). It is intended for inspiron 8XXX, but
>  could work on some other models. Userland access tools are
>  debian-packaged (i8kutils)

I know that ;)

>  Some of this features are redundant with ACPI. ACPI should work
>  properly on recent inspiron models although some of these would need
>  a DSDT table modification (see
>  http://www.cpqlinux.com/acpi-howto.html).  on newer systems, some
>  features are only available with ACPI, since APM is now considered
>  obsolete

APM, obsolete ? It is far from being obsolete here :) I mean ACPI is so
bad supported for my model, I can't imagine letting it down. If I had
time, I would have made my own DDST table but it is painfull :)

>  For other hardware (ethernet, wifi, video, modem, etc) it's quite
>  different between inspiron models.

Indeed.

zeDek
--
"Ach so. *Deinem* Buch ist also zu entnehmen, wie es sich in
 Wirklichkeit tatsächlich verhält. Wenn das mal kein Sendungs-