Re: experience with late model laptops?

Micha Feigin <michf@math.tau.ac.il> writes:

>  My experience with sonys, is that they are relatively pretty (not
>  anywhere near macs though >;) ), but the battery life isn't very

Macs ? Cute ? Don't think so.

>  good.  Most stuff usually works with linux, although tends to be
>  eratic and they have no official support (once had a hardware
>  problem, mentioned by mistake that the exact details were found under
>  linux since I didn't have the tools under XP and got the imidiate
>  reply that linux isn't supported and they didn't even bother with the
>  rest of the email).  On the other hand, their support is non
>  existent. Their support team can't answear an email properly, apart
>  from the template ansear, with less then three repost and some harsh
>  language, and then they tell you to call in since they can't solve
>  they problem over email, no matter how simple.  Then they tell you to
>  send in the laptop for repair, do a poor job, and do their best to
>  avoid the warranty. They charged me 250$ for what should have been
>  warranty work last time, and nobody could give an answear worth
>  anything when I tried to inquire about it.  I have very good
>  experience with IBMs though, although they are not as pretty, and not
>  the cheapest option.

This related story doesn't encourage me in buying my VAIO Z1 ! I plan
to buy one but if all you said is correct, I can't imagine buy somthing
about 3000€ here if I can't be sure the tech team is correct.

So what would you recommend other than Sony with a good Linux support
preferably a centrino based technology and with a good tech team ?

My taste for a new notebook are these: centrino, HDD of 40Go (minimum),
256Mo of RAM, good Linux support, good tech team, less than 3000€.

Thanx,

zeDek
--
"Was kann schon auf dem harten Boden der Tatsachen gedeihen" (Lec)