RE: experience with late model laptops?

My experience with sonys, is that they are relatively pretty (not
anywhere near macs though >;) ), but the battery life isn't very good.
Most stuff usually works with linux, although tends to be eratic and
they have no official support (once had a hardware problem, mentioned by
mistake that the exact details were found under linux since I didn't
have the tools under XP and got the imidiate reply that linux isn't
supported and they didn't even bother with the rest of the email).
On the other hand, their support is non existent. Their support team
can't answear an email properly, apart from the template ansear, with
less then three repost and some harsh language, and then they tell you
to call in since they can't solve they problem over email, no matter how
simple.
Then they tell you to send in the laptop for repair, do a poor job, and
do their best to avoid the warranty. They charged me 250$ for what
should have been warranty work last time, and nobody could give an
answear worth anything when I tried to inquire about it.
I have very good experience with IBMs though, although they are not as
pretty, and not the cheapest option.