Re: X11 forwarding problem

    "E" == E L Willighagen <E.L.> writes:

    E> I quickly ssh-ed into my desktop machine and fired up an
    E> xterm...  Cannot open display, bla bla...

    E> I *did* do the normal 'xhost +laptop', ssh -X desktop, and
    E> export DISPLAY=laptop:0.0... I even tried 'xhost +'... I still
    E> get the "cannot open display" error...

The default Debian installation turns off X11 forwarding. Edit the
file /etc/ssh/sshd_config and make the change so it has the line

X11Forwarding yes

in it.

The default Debian X11 installation also configures X so that it will
ensure that your attempt to use xhost will fail. But once you have
X11Forwarding set up this does not matter.

Cheers!
Shyamal