Re: Infamous Mouse Wheel Problem

Alright, update.

Once I learned which of my XFCONFIG-4 mouse settings was USB, I ended up
attacking it from that angle.  I took the PS/2 connector off my
IntelliMouse, got the "hotplug" package (not really sure what part that
played, but a friend suggested I needed it), changed protocol for the
USB mouse to "ImPS/2" and removed the Emulate3Buttons option, and bingo,
I've got scroll wheel capability.

I hadn't realized that my builtin eraser mouse was a PS/2 mouse, despite
numerous things hinting at it.  Feel a bit dumb now.  Anyways I still
think that would be the best setup possible, as my laptop has only one
USB port, and it's nice to just be able to pop my card reader into the
port and not have to juggle around with changing the mouse back to PS/2
whenever I want to do that.  I like how Windows handled it- when I boot
up with my MS mouse on PS/2, it disables the internal and gives me
scroll wheel.  Optimally that's what's going to happen on the Linux side
eventually too.

Do you have examples of X programs that don't use the scroll wheel?
GTK and QT apps of course handle it, other X programs probably have to
be compiled with "libmousewheel" or something with a similar name?

So I guess I'll check out gpm sometime soon, and maybe before too long
get in the mood to play with XF86 settings and restart X a million times
before I get it all right :)  Maybe I'll get around to making a Thinkpad
560x Linux page sometime too, although it's a really old laptop it's
nice to see support pages newer than 1999..

Thank you and Jason Kraftcheck and Thomas Hood for the help and
pointers.

--
Dan Rasmussen
Jabber: dhrasmus@charente.de