Infamous Mouse Wheel Problem

Hello,

I've been suffering under Linux without the use of my mouse wheel for
some time now, and would like to do something about it.  I've got an IBM
Thinkpad 560x and a two-button PS/2 Microsoft Intellimouse.  I searched
linux-laptop.org for my model, but the two references to my laptop were
both written a long time ago and neither mentioned wheel mouses.

I tried using the program "mdetect," but it didn't seem to do anything
useful...

Relevant lines in my "XF86Config-4" are:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
   Driver          "mouse"
   Option          "CorePointer"
   Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
   Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
   Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
  Driver          "mouse"
  Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
  Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
  Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
  Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

I spent a good time playing around with the protocol option and the
CorePointer option before getting annoyed, and realizing I was wasting my
time and that there must be a better way.  To be honest, I'm not sure
which of the devices is my PS/2 mouse and which is the internal
eraser-style mouse.  When I start my laptop up without the PS/2 mouse
plugged in, the internal works, and vice versa, ie they don't both
function at the same time unless I plug in the PS/2 after I've booted
up.

That's all I can think of right now.  Eagerly awaiting being able to
scroll through documents without moving my arms/wrist,
Dan

--
Dan Rasmussen
Jabber: dhrasmus@charente.de