Re: do I need cardmgr if using hotplug and yenta_socket?

On Monday 09 June 2003 12:35, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> I needed hotplug _and_ pci hotplug support in the kernel, IIRC (sorry,
> the whole thing was a bit confusing sometimes. In any case, I have now
> both compiled in and it works)

I have the same situation: both hotplug and pci hotplug in my 2.4.20 and the
cardbus is seen as a pci device (Texas Instruments PCI1420).

> Remove the "auto eth0" (or whatever interface you use) from
> /etc/network/interfaces

I do not have an ethernet pcmcia card; my understanding is that probably if I
get/use a cardbus (not pcmcia) card then I don't need pcmciacore (the hotplug
doc even says pcmcia-cs may *interphere* badly with the code; on the other
hand, somewhere in the kernel helps it is also said that with some "pcmcia"
cards you need the pcmcia-cs package, so your understanding is also probably
correct. All in all, the whole thing IMHO is a real mess.

Thanks anyway for your notes. I have also noted in /var/log/syslog the
following error message about hotplug:
/etc/hotplug/usb.agent: setup usbcore for USB product 0/0/0
modprobe: can't locate module usbcore
/etc/hotplug/usb.agent: missing kernel or user mode driver usbcore

I do have usbcore not as a module but built directly into the kernel. Do you
think I can simply ignore the message or do I need to compile usb support
(usbcore) as a module ??
--
saluti,  Mauro

On this machine no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.