Re: sound on dell inspiron 5100

[20030611] Abhay Pradhan (pradhan@ece.utexas.edu) wrote:

> I am trying to get sound to work on a dell inspiron 5100.
> Windows reports the soundcard as a sigmatel c major audio card.
> The distro I am using is debian.
> I looked for a linux driver for this soundcard but was not successful.
> Any ideas on how to go about this would be a great help.

I'd suggest to use ALSA if your sound card is supported.
Do :
$ lspci -v

to find your sound card's exact type and check the card matrix
at www.alsa-project.org to see if it's supported.

Then check these pages for how to install alsa (the debian way):

http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=541&page=1

http://www.sonic.net/~rknop/linux/debian_alsa.html

--
Manolis Tzanidakis