use apm and detect when the battery will be down.

Hello,

I buy an hp zt1201s and I install debian woody on it.
Thanks to google and linux-on-laptops I can configure X11
and the touchpad (but not yet the whell)

It seems very difficult to patch the kernel for the acpi and
if I make a mistake I broke down my laptop. So I prefer to use apm.

But can I read the state of the battery with apm or an other program ?
So I could predict when the laptop will shutdown.

Have a good day.

François