Satellite 5200-603: Getting video on LCD and CRT simultaneously (w/ ACPI)

Hello list,

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5100-603 notebook with Debian 3.0 (stable)
installed. This is a "legacy free" notebook, so I have built an ACPI
enabled kernel (by installing and unpacking the 2.4.18 kernel source
package, applying the acpi-20020918-2.4.18.diff.gz patch downloaded from
sourceforge and using make-kpkg according to the instructions in
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-kernel.en.html) and
installed the resulting kernel package.

The new kernel boots ok and gives me a /proc/acpi/toshiba directory
with the "video" file, but somehow, this doesn't quite work for me. I'd
like to run the notebook connected to a beamer for presentations, such
that I also see what I'm presenting on the lcd. So, here's what I tried
and what I got:

    * start X in 1024x768 mode, then, as root, run

        echo 'crt_out: 1' > /proc/acpi/toshiba/video

      --> nothing happens, not even the content of the video file
      changes, no matter whether beamer is connected or not.

    * start without beamer connected, connect it when system has booted
      into console. Then, log in and run
      "echo 'crt_out: 1' > /proc/acpi/toshiba/video" in console
      mode --> content of video file reflects change to "crt_out: 1"
      and console appears on both lcd and beamer. But upon
      running "startx", things get messed up, I could not even
      cleanly shut down the system anymore.

    * start with beamer connected --> console appears on beamer but
      lcd is dead. Upon running "echo 'crt_out: 1' > /proc/acpi/toshiba/video",
      lcd backlight comes on, but lcd displays random pattern that converge
      to uniform whitish over several seconds.

>From reading various docs, it has been my understanding that the lcd
and crt video output can be switched on and off at will by appropriately
writing into the /proc/acpi/toshiba/video file. What have I missed?

Thanx in advance for any help.

Greetinx, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |