Re: 2.4.20 and NVidia problem

* Michael S Daines <ax2groin@arbornet.org>, 2003-05-26 12:51 -0400:
> This weekend, I tried to build a new kernel (2.4.20) on my laptop (Dell Inspiron
> 2650).  I'm running unstable now, I believe (is there a command that I could
> convey to people to explain this better?).

I think it's clear; see your /etc/apt/sources.list :)

> In any case, when I started up the new kernel, it wouldn't boot into KDE.  So I
> installed the latest NVidia modules from their website.  Now, whenever I boot
> into the new kernel, I just get a black screen.  I've waited a while for it, to
> see if there might be a delay, but this isn't the issue.  I then have to screw
> up everything to get myself functional again... hard reboot, fsck my active
> partition, etc.
>
> I can, however, get everything to run fine with my 2.2 kernel.

Interesting... I also have an i2650 (with 2.4.20-1-686 supplied by
Adrian Bunk), and the only nvidia drivers that work flawlessly for me
are the ones that come with woody. Having said that, I had similar
problems as you when experimenting with never versions when the BIOS
display setting was set to "LCD". Try "Both" (or was it "Auto"?)
instead. And oh, I switched to ext3 to avoid data loss in case things
go wrong. Not ideal if battery life is of the issues though because
it syncs every 5 seconds.

-Andre