2.4.20 and NVidia problem

This weekend, I tried to build a new kernel (2.4.20) on my laptop (Dell Inspiron
2650).  I'm running unstable now, I believe (is there a command that I could
convey to people to explain this better?).

In any case, when I started up the new kernel, it wouldn't boot into KDE.  So I
installed the latest NVidia modules from their website.  Now, whenever I boot
into the new kernel, I just get a black screen.  I've waited a while for it, to
see if there might be a delay, but this isn't the issue.  I then have to screw
up everything to get myself functional again... hard reboot, fsck my active
partition, etc.

I can, however, get everything to run fine with my 2.2 kernel.

Any suggestions on what is wrong here?

Thanx,
msd