sleep or suspend mode

I had a new problem developed.  I booted up my laptop at work (batt. power) and then got distracted.  when I came back, it had gone into suspend mode.  I could not figure out how to get it out so I ended up finally forcing a hard boot.  that created a mess on the hard drive and after getting it all cleaned up, kde desktop would no longer load up.  It would try but could not follow through.  In the end I hosed the drive and reinstalled.  I read about an F10 bios option and used it (this is on an armada e500).  It is a very scaled down bios.  Pretty much boot options, but not much else.  I see no place to turn the sleep or suspend option off.  Does any one know of any way to do this?

-rob