Re: sound on armada e500 w/debian

Hi,

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 03:17:04PM -0600, R. Potter wrote:
> I am new to this mail list, so forgive me if I don't provide enough
> details for every one.  I hope this is the right list for my msg.
>
> I have an Armada E500 (PIII 600, 128mb ram, 12 gig).  I finally got
> Debian 3.0 installed but unable to get sound.  I know SUSE will work,
> but I played around with KNOPPIX and fell in love with the APT-GET
> feature of Debian.  So I am trying to make it work.
>
> Does any one here have the Armada E500 with Debian?  If so, what must I
> do to get my sound card to be found and or configured?  Not sure if
> related, but if I put an audio cd in the cd rom drive it refuses to
> mount, but if I put a Debian disk (one of the seven ISO disk's) it has
> no problem.

 You can't mount audio cds without compiling an special module (cdfs
IIRC). To get the sound working, try 'modprobe maestro' if it works
append a line to /etc/modules containing only 'maestro'. Or try the
command 'modconf' and load the module maestro (in kernel/drivers/sound
or similar). If you use lspci you should get one Line similar to the
following:
00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10)

Hope this helps
 KH

--
GnuPG Public Key:    http://www.eischer.net/gpg/public.key
      Fingerprint:   B168 B53F AAF6 8A79 DDA7  A9A4 5E82 1AF6 581A 1B06

// In a world without walls and fences who needs Windows and Gates ? //