sound on armada e500 w/debian

I am new to this mail list, so forgive me if I don't provide enough details for every one.  I hope this is the right list for my msg.

I have an Armada E500 (PIII 600, 128mb ram, 12 gig).  I finally got Debian 3.0 installed but unable to get sound.  I know SUSE will work, but I played around with KNOPPIX and fell in love with the APT-GET feature of Debian.  So I am trying to make it work.

Does any one here have the Armada E500 with Debian?  If so, what must I do to get my sound card to be found and or configured?  Not sure if related, but if I put an audio cd in the cd rom drive it refuses to mount, but if I put a Debian disk (one of the seven ISO disk's) it has no problem.