Re: can't restore from suspend

From: "Emma Jane Hogbin" <emmajane@xtrinsic.com>

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:41:52PM +0200, mi wrote:
> > As usual, a google search might lead you to some archive mails, with
keywords
> > like 'linux & acpi & suspend & problem' (or even 'freeze') and, of course,
>
> Been there, done that. Everything I've found is either people saying,
> "works fine out of the box." Or "look in /proc/acpi/events" (which doesn't
exist on
> my system).

It's /proc/acpi/event.  If you don't have it, your problem is definitely not
ACPI related.  If you don't have it, you don't have ACPI.

> Because I can't find what's triggering the suspend. :(
>
> > One point to start analyzing is the output of:
> > dmesg
> I've already pasted that to the list.
>
> > cat /proc/acpi/dsdt
> that's a binary file

Yes, you can't do a thing with it.  You need 'iasl' (should be available on the
ACPI sourceforge pages)

> > Maybe you're running gnome or kde session - there's always a chooser for
> > powermanagement (like kcontrol or ther gnome advanced desktop settings).

Not necessarily.  I have ACPI and haven't figured out how to get the power
management for kcontrol.

> I had kde (just installed fluxconf which un-installed kde stuff). But the
> power management tools were all turned OFF. (I checked.)
>
> > And who starts up your xscreensaver ? Did you configure that personally ?
>
> Not sure. It was supposed to be KDE and the matrix screen saver but
> something else was overriding it and giving a black screen.

This _really_ sounds like BIOS level configuration.  Go into your BIOS settings
when you power-up, and look for anything that might be labelled "suspend",
"sleep" or "hibernate".  If you've got a system that goes into BIOS triggered
hibernation, that was intended to run with windows, a few people have
experienced major corruption when it proceeded to guess where the hibernate
partition was...

> Ugh. Again, I'm missing stuff that is supposed to be there. This time it's
> hte contents of:
> /proc/acpi/processor/0/info
> I have <TBD> instead of something like this:

First, there is no such thing as "supposed to be" /proc/acpi/processor/0/info.
There _must_ be a /proc/acpi directory, to have acpi, and I think there probably
must be /proc/acpi/processor - though perhaps not. But the next level is named
in the BIOS, and could be anything,  The same with all directories under
/proc/acpi/*/.   However, if you are saying that you _do_ have
/proc/acpi/processor/0/info and it only contains "<TBD>", then I think you can
safely assume you don't have a proper ACPI BIOS.

derek