Re: compiling & installing kernels

* mi <Michael.Wordehoff@gmx.de> [2003-04-16 21:26] :
> Jayson Garrell [Mittwoch, 16. April 2003 17:28]:
> >| Issue a 'make mrproper' before starting your make menuconfig or
> >| whatever. Just make sure to cp you .config before doing so, 'cause it
> >| will wipe it out.
>
> Does somebody know what's the difference to 'make clean',  and what does
> make-kpkg clean then ? I ask this because i only used make(-kpkg) clean, so
> far.

>From man make-kpkg:

  clean Cleans the kernel source directory of all files created by target
       build, and runs a make distclean. (Please look at a Linux kernel
       Makefile for details). Please note that although we take care of the
       list of current kernel configuration contained in the file .config, the
       file include/linux/autoconf.h is not preserved.

And in turn in the Linux kernel Makefile:

distclean calls mrproper (and remove some temporary files),
mrproper calls clean and archmrproper (and remove some files, MRPROPER_FILES),
clean calls archclean (and remove some files, CLEAN_FILES).

Fred