Re: cdrw/dvd, hdparm, and ide-scsi

Soren A wrote:

In the documentation for framebuffer (I think -- sorry it was a couple
of days ago that I read it) it seems to say something like "if you set a
video mode other than VGA-standard in your lilo.conf, you will not be
able to switch to another video mode later (after login)". I couldn't
understand completely what the wording meant, but it did not sound good.

The problem of some frame buffer drivers is, that you cannot switch
between video modes, after you've set one initially. I had this problem
with the standard vesa fb driver: after XFree is started (1024x768
graphics mode), my laptop hook up when I switched to a console (text mode).

It doesn't mind at all if you use nVidia drivers.
The framebuffer device is a general driver concept which works more or
less with all graphic cards/chips. You should only use a framebuffer
driver if there is no "real" driver for your card/chip, but nVidia
provides rather good linux support with real drivers.

So, if your kernel makes use of the nVidia driver (which it normally
does), there is nothing you have to worry about.

Bye.
Thorsten