Re: cdrw/dvd, hdparm, and ide-scsi

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:55, Thorsten Hirsch wrote:
> > In the documentation for framebuffer (I think -- sorry it was a couple
> > of days ago that I read it) it seems to say something like "if you set a
> > video mode other than VGA-standard in your lilo.conf, you will not be
> > able to switch to another video mode later (after login)". I couldn't
> > understand completely what the wording meant, but it did not sound good.
>
> The problem of some frame buffer drivers is, that you cannot switch
> between video modes, after you've set one initially. I had this problem
> with the standard vesa fb driver: after XFree is started (1024x768
> graphics mode), my laptop hook up when I switched to a console (text mode).

That problem occurs with VESAFB because the mode is set in real mode and once
you are in protected mode there's no way to change it.

There is no reason for FB drivers written for a graphics chipset to have the
same limitation.

> It doesn't mind at all if you use nVidia drivers.
> The framebuffer device is a general driver concept which works more or
> less with all graphic cards/chips. You should only use a framebuffer
> driver if there is no "real" driver for your card/chip, but nVidia
> provides rather good linux support with real drivers.

nVidia produces binary-only drivers that cause kernel panics for me and
apparently for other people.  I use a FB driver for my nvidia card because I
want my machine to run reliably.