Re: dselect sucks greasy cheese balls

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:16:02AM -0500, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Kurt Sys wrote:
> > To be honest, I had some troubles with dselect too... After
> > I had some thing installed 'automatically' etc, it messed up my
> > laptop once. OK, this might partially due to myself because of
> > being 'unconcentrated'. I simply don't use dselect anymore.
> > Just 'apt-get' thinks (or 'dpkg'), it works fine. Simple. No
> > trouble.
>
> There is surely no trouble, but aptitude can be actually even
> helpfull -- keeping track of packages which were installed just
> to satisfy dependencies, and which can thus be safely eliminated
> when not needed. IIRC, plain apt-get cannot do that. And of
> course for some people menu-screen-based interface is more
> pleasant than apt-cache search etc.
>
> Matej

I use aptitude, but I *really* miss the friendlier look that had been
capt.  (aka apt-find, console-apt.  contrast deity-curses)  Anyone
use the gui ones?

You could also install deborphan, especially handy for looking up
which items are cruft or free enough of dependcies to toss out.

People who prefer the hard way could use zgrep on raw Packages.gz
files, I suppose :)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078